Admissions Policy

WSU Tech encourages all individuals who are interested in, and are capable of, extending their education beyond high school to apply. Admission to the college is open to the following individuals.

New Students

• High school graduates

• Persons holding a General Educational Development (GED) diploma

Prospective students need to complete the WSU Tech Application for New Student Admission, and indicate that they are a high school graduate or have obtained their GED. Acceptance to the college does not guarantee acceptance into a specific program. Most programs have specific program entrance requirements (see Programs of Study).

Transfer Students

Prospective transfer students need to complete the WSU Tech Application for New Student Admission. Transfer students seeking admission need to submit an official copy of their transcripts from other colleges attended.

High School Students

High school students may register for courses with the written approval of their parent/guardian and their high school counselor.  Upon graduation from High School, students must provide verification of completion from their high school. Contact Admissions, 316.677.9400, for more information about attending WSU Tech while in high school.

Returning Students

Students who have a break in registration may reactivate their file by providing current information to the Admissions office. Students may be required to meet any new admission requirements for the college or program before readmission is granted.


Residency status is determined by procedures consistent with Kansas statutes K.S.A. 71-406 and K.S.A. 71-407. Generally, residency is determined by length of residence in the state.

The following persons and their spouses and dependents may be considered residents of the state of Kansas for tuition purposes:

a. Persons who are in active military service of the United States.

b. Persons who are domiciliary residents of the state, who were in active military service prior to becoming domiciliary residents of the state, who were present in the state for a period of not less than two years during their tenure in active military service, whose domiciliary residence was established in the state within 30 days of discharge, or who have retired from active military service under honorable conditions.

c. Persons who are full-time employees of a technical or community college and their dependents.

When enrolling, the student is responsible for indicating the proper residence classification for tuition and fee costs. Questions relating to residency should be directed to the Registrar’s Office prior to enrollment.

Students who disagree with their classification as a non-resident for tuition and fee costs may file a written appeal within two weeks of the date of enrollment with the Registrar’s Office. The payment of tuition as originally assessed shall be a condition of the right to appeal residency classification. Failure to file an appeal within the time and in the manner specified makes classification by the Registrar final.

To appeal this decision and be classified as a Kansas resident, a student must have lived in the state for a minimum of six (6) months prior to the first day of classes AND must complete an Affidavit of Residency (obtained from the Registrar’s Office) and produce three (3) of the following:

a. Receipt for purchase of Kansas license tags dated at least six (6) months prior to the first day of the term.

b. Receipt for payment of Kansas property taxes, dated at least six (6) months prior to the first day of the term.

c. Employment verification or payroll check stubs from a Kansas employer or school attendance at a Kansas community college commencing six (6) months prior to the first day of the term.

d. Copy of voter registration in the state of Kansas dated six (6) months prior to the first day of the term.

e. Copy of Kansas driver’s license dated at least six (6) months prior to the first day of the term.

f. Consecutive utility receipts and/or rent receipts for the six (6) months prior to the first day of the term.

g. Verification (must be notarized) from a Kansas resident that the student has resided with him/her/ them for at least six (6) months prior to the first day of the term.

Undocumented Non-U.S. Citizens

Undocumented non-U.S. citizens are eligible to apply for admission if they meet the following Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) requirements:

1. Provide documentation that they attended an accredited Kansas high school for three or more years and graduated from an accredited Kansas high school or obtained a GED diploma in Kansas.

2. File an affidavit (obtained from the Registrar’s Office) with WSU Tech stating that they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or filed for U.S. citizenship or that their parents have filed such an application.

In addition to the above criteria, all international and non-U.S. citizens must fulfill all other college and program admission requirements before admission is granted. Undocumented, non-U.S. citizens are not eligible for federal financial aid.

International Student Status

WSU Tech has been approved to host international students who hold either F-1 or M-1 visas. Requirements for issuance of an I-20AB include:

1. Completed International Student Application for Admission. There is no fee for application to the college.

2. Proof of graduation from an accredited high school or the equivalent. All foreign transcripts must include English translations.

3. Proof of sufficient funds to cover all expenses students will incur while attending the college. Expenses may include tuition, fees, materials, room and board, travel and miscellaneous personal expenses. All applicants must submit a notarized Affidavit of Sponsor complete with raised seal of verification from the sponsor’s bank. The sponsor, whose signature appears on the affidavit, is agreeing by their signature to provide adequate funds to pay any expenses as listed above in full by the first day of classes for each subsequent semester. If the sponsor fails to provide promised funds, students are unable to enroll and reported to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services as out-of-status.

4. English Proficiency – Students whose first language is not English or whose country’s official language is not English must document their English proficiency in one of the following ways:

a. A minimum score TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 500 or above on the written test, 173 on the computer-based test, or 94 on the internet test is required.

1. Students seeking admission to WSU Tech’s Licensed Practical Nurse Program must meet a minimum score of 94 on the internet based test and score the following minimums on individual sections of the internet based test or meet requirement (b) or (c) listed below:

– Reading (22 or higher)

– Listening (22 or higher)

– Speaking (26 or higher)

– Writing (24 or higher)

b. Completion of the Advanced II level or higher at Wichita State University’s Intensive English Language Center. Students must have grades of C or better in all classes.

c. Academic credit of 12 hours or more (including the equivalent of EBS 110) from a U.S. college or university or one year from a U.S. high school with a minimum 2.5 grade point average.

d. The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test is also acceptable as an alternative to TOEFL. An overall score of 6.5 is required for admission.

e. TSE (Test of Spoken English) with a score of 4 or higher.

5. Upon arrival, students must complete all necessary testing and placement procedures for the individual program of study to which they are applying.

6. Proof of current international health insurance policy must be submitted upon arrival to the international academic advisor.

An I-20AB is mailed to the student’s home country upon acceptance to WSU Tech along with receipt of proof of appropriate resources as listed above. Students must take the I-20AB to the American Embassy in their country to apply for an F-1 or M-1 visa.

The following must be presented to WSU Tech’s international academic advisor upon arrival or enrollment:

  • I-20
  • I-94 Departure Record
  • Passport
  • Proof of International Health Insurance
  • Payment of tuition and fees

International Transfer Students

International students who transfer to WSU Tech from another college within the United States are required to complete Steps 1 through 4 as listed above. International students who have completed College English Composition I with a grade of C or better are not required to submit documentation for Step 4 listed above in regard to proficiency in the English language. WSU Tech’s international academic advisor must also receive a completed International Student Transfer form. This form can be obtained from WSU Tech’s Admissions office.

International Guest Students

WSU Tech also admits students who are currently holding an I-20AB from another school. Requirements for attendance at WSU Tech are as follows:

1. Application for New Student Admission. There is no fee for application to the college.

2. A guest letter must be secured from the institution holding the student’s I-20AB and submitted to WSU Tech’s international advisor at the time of enrollment. The letter must include how many credits hours the student plans to enroll in and the term in which the student plans to attend WSU Tech.

3. An official copy of the student’s class schedule must be provided to WSU Tech’s international advisor showing proof of minimum full-time enrollment at the student’s host school.

New Policies for Continuing International Students

To facilitate compliance with SEVIS, the new Department of Homeland Security information and reporting system, the International Office has instituted the following policies for international students who have an I-20 from WSU Tech.

Full Course of Study: All WSU Tech international students are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester at WSU Tech. There may be occasional exceptions, in accordance with F-1 and M-1 regulations and at the discretion of the international student advisor, which will require full course certification with strong rationale and documentation.

Concurrent Enrollment: WSU Tech international students must enroll in 12 credit hours at WSU Tech before they are allowed to enroll as a guest student at other colleges in the area, such as Wichita State University or Cowley College. Students enrolled for 12 credit hours may be given a guest letter to enroll in additional courses at other colleges.

Reinstatement: International students who are “out-of-status” will be required to apply for reinstatement before they are permitted to enroll for the next semester. The international office will assist students with their reinstatement application but the student is responsible to see that it is mailed.

Transcript Requirement

Official transcripts must be mailed directly from the issuing institution. Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope upon receipt and may not be stamped “student copy.” Transcripts must be mailed directly to:

WSU Tech


4004 N. Webb Rd.

Wichita, KS 67226


Admission Assessments

Most programs have admission requirements, including specific assessments on which applicants must meet minimum scores. A student identification number is required to take assessments. Students may take assessments at the National Center for Aviation Training (NCAT) or at WSU South.

General Education Admission Assessments

The ACT® COMPASS/ESL™ is required for placement in general education courses. Contact Admissions, 316.677.9400, for additional information.

Academic Advisors

WSU Tech academic advisors assist students with course selection, scheduling and meeting program requirements. Coaching usually precedes registration for WSU Tech programs.

Academic advisors are available to assist with:

• Course and program information.

• Student orientation.

• General financial aid information.

• Career and job counseling.

• Personal counseling referral.

• Agency referrals.


Students may register for courses either by appointment or on a walk-in basis. Academic advisors will verify that any course or program prerequisites have been met before registering the student. A $10 non-refundable registration fee is applied once each semester.

Online Registration

Current students may register for general education courses through Firefly. Registration in program courses is not available online. Please see an academic advisor for enrollment in program courses.

Drop, Withdrawal, Refund Policies

Dropping Courses

1. Get Help and Advice.

Before you drop one or more courses, speak with your Academic Advisor and with a Financial Aid Specialist. They can tell you how dropping courses may affect you, including how dropping courses will affect your financial aid obligations and eligibilities.

2. Failure to Attend.

Failure to attend class does not constitute a withdrawal or a drop. To officially drop a course, the appropriate withdrawal process must be followed. Failure to withdraw from courses properly may result in you owing money to the federal government and owing money to WSU Tech.

3. Dropping courses can be done electronically on firefly or by being submitted in writing.

You can complete a drop by logging into your firefly account, clicking on “drop/add courses,” and then following the on screen directions.

If you are unable to drop courses electronically, a written drop notice is required.

You can complete an online form at student-drop-and-withdrawal-request. Or if you prefer, you can submit a written drop notice to the Academic Advisor who serves your program area.

• Get a copy of the form at the Reception Desk, complete it and leave it at the Reception Desk, or

• Fax it to 316.677.9555, or

• Scan it and email it to, or

• Mail it to:

Academic Advisor/Drop Notice

WSU Tech

4004 N. Webb Road

Wichita, KS 67226

• You can also send a letter that contains your printed name, your signature, the date, your address, your telephone number, your student ID number, and a list of the courses you wish to drop.

• If the form is sent electronically, it is your responsibility to follow up with your academic advisor to make sure that the form was received.

4. Effective Date of Written Drop Notices.

The effective date of your written drop notice is the date the form is received by the College. If the form is being mailed, be sure to allow for enough time for mail delivery since the effective date is the date the notice is received.

5. Transcripts and Drop Notices.

• For 8 week and 16 week courses, the academic calendar shows the last day to withdraw with a “W” on your transcript. The written drop notice must be received by this date for the course to appear as a “W” (Withdrawn) on your transcript.

• To receive a “W” (Withdrawn) on your transcript for all other courses (those not equal to 8 weeks or 16 weeks), the written drop notice must be received after the date that equals 25% of class meetings and before the date that equals the first 75% of class meetings.

• Withdraw notices will not be accepted after the applicable date each semester. A grade of “W” will not be assigned; rathr the grade earned to date will be entered on the transcript.

• If you have questions about the dates for a course, contact your Academic Advisor or the Office of the Registrar.

• Note that Transcripts are released after your account has a zero balance.

Tuition Refunds

  1. To receive a tuition refund, or an adjustment, students must drop course(s) by the deadlines shown below. When courses are dropped by the deadlines shown below, any refunds or adjustments will be automatically computed by the College
  2. For 8-week to 16-week Courses
    • Drops received from the 1st day of class through the 9th calendar day: 100% refund for tuition, lab fees, online fees, and certain refundable fees. All other fees not listed are non- refundable.
    • After the 9th calenda